Name : SOLSOMATI
Country : Mali
Year : 2019-2022
Project status : Ongoing
Summary : Solicited by the decentralized cooperation services of the Ille-et-Vilaine Local council, Energies for the World has put forward its expertise and its financial support for the realization of a decentralized rural electrification project. This project will be powered by photovoltaic solar energy in two areas of the Mopti region. It will enhance the quality of the social services and the living conditions of the locals with a quality and non-polluting, green lighting. It will facilitate the communication and the development of economical activities. Finally, it will show the action lead by the local collectivities.
Essential driving force of economic, social and domestic development, the access to electricity remains very limited in rural Mali. Already rare, 80% of existing electrical infrastructures are out of service because of the high cost of fuel. In the Mopti region (in the center of the country), only 24% of the population, mostly urban, have access to electric service. However, with an average of 5,6 kWh/m2 /day of solar irradiation, this region has a high solar deposit and therefore has a real alternative to generators that are pollutant and are costly for the needs of the 2,5 million people.
Strengthened by a decentralized cooperation for more than 30 years with the regional council of Mopti, the local council of Ille-et-Vilaine (CD35) has committed to support, in an orderly process the Mopti region. Due to the specificity of the region, the CD35 has called for the expertise and the financial support of the Foundation Energies for the World (Fondem).
Field work lead in collaboration with local actors of the Ille-et-Vilaine, Mopti region and the Malian Agency for rural Electrification (AMADER) have identified the most favorable areas of the region and defined their electrification modalities. It <as therefore decided to launch the program with the electrification of two areas of Somadougou and Madiama by a micro-grid powered by two hybrid powerplants. Prepayment systems will make it easier for the electricity payments and the monitoring of the system’s electric performance.
The main objective of this project is to contribute to enhance the development of social and economic conditions of the rural populations in the Mopti region. This will give access to modern and durable services of electricity for productive, social and domestic use.
By putting forward renewable energy, the project will give access to an economically reachable energy for the local population and will contribute to the international objectives of the fight against global warming.
- Implementation: Somadougou and Madiama have a durable access to electrical services supplied by a mini hybrid powerplant and distributed by a local distribution network.
- Technical sustainability:the professional exploitation of the electric infrastructures is assured by formed and guided local operators.
- Organizational innovation:the exploitation model of leasing type with the building ownership given to the Regional Council of Mopti will implicate the Mali territorial collectivities and will respond to AMADER’s will of overtaking constraints linked to concession regimes.
- Technological innovation: prepayment systems will be installed at client’s homes and will make it easier to keep the financial equilibrium of the holding and will upgrade the knowledge of the needs of the users.
- Economic development:a dozen of economic activities are being developed in each area, reinforcing their attractivity.
- Capitalization and diffusion: the feedback from the project are capitalized and are used as a basis of exchange between, actors for the electrification of the 8 other areas ranked as favorable for this type of project by the field work.
- Mobilization and advocacy in favor of renewable energies: The actors of the project and the external stake holders are mobilized in favor of rural electrification by renewable energy.